Our Lady’s Choral Society (OLCS) was founded in Dublin in 1945, for a performance of Händel’s Messiah. Today the 120 choristers chosen for membership are united by a passion for singing great choral music at a professional level.
Music Director and Conductor, Proinnsías Ó Duinn has been responsible for the choir’s musical development since 1979. Under his direction, OLCS has undertaken many ambitious works, from Charpentier to Stravinsky. It has also premièred works by luminary Irish composers, such as John Kinsella and Seóirse Bodley.
OLCS appears regularly at the National Concert Hall, accompanied by the RTÉ Concert Orchestra and the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra. The choir tours internationally, more recently to Germany and France and is planning another tour to Germany in Autumn 2018.
Messiah continues to be the choir’s signature work. OLCS has the privilege each year, on the anniversary of the first performance, April 13th, of singing Messiah excerpts at the site of the old Music Hall in Fishamble St. where the oratorio premièred in 1742. In recent years, each April, the choir has performed a Handel Celebration Concert in Ss. Adam & Eve’s Church, Merchants Quay in aid of the Merchant’s Quay Project and Focus Ireland. OLCS continues to present three full performances of Messiah annually in December in the National Concert Hall with the RTÉ Concert Orchestra.
The Society had the privilege of singing Messiah in the Vatican at the invitation of Pope Benedict XVI in 2009 to mark the 80th anniversary of Vatican State.